Cultivating an Empowering Environment: WOmen in STEM Breakfast

Cherylyn Weyhmiller

The WOmen in STEM Breakfast attendees lean in as Elisabeth Salazar and Gracie Hill share their experiences as engineering majors.

Tessie Morales

The only female student in a research lab is powerful. In 1996, she overcame a lot to get there. But just like at home, she was expected to “do the dishes.” That’s right. While all the boys got to do the research and analyze data, the professor sent the young woman in the back, to clean the glassware. Every single day. It’s almost unbelievable, but this actually happened to a female mentor of mine, when she was in college.

Luckily, in 2022, opportunities for women in fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), are on the rise.

WOmen in STEM Breakfast

Professor Susan Ipri Brown, Assistant Professor of Engineering Instruction at Hope College, understands the importance of exposing young women to opportunities in STEM. In 2018, Brown introduced an outreach opportunity to West Ottawa. And with the support of instructor Cherylyn Weyhmiller, it has been coined as a monthly WOmen in STEM Breakfast gathering (featuring a clever pun on WOmen.). Any female-identifying student interested in pursuing a career in STEM is invited to these free breakfasts. Students in attendance are exposed to a supportive community of female-identifying students, professors, and professionals in the industry. “It’s cool to be in a group of like-minded people who have similar interests,” former member and alum, Greta Davis said.

This supportive team serves to uncover the educational and career choices that are out there. And on February 23,, the first breakfast since 2020 occurred right in Weyhmiller’s classroom.

Brown and two Hope College mentor students, Elisabeth Salazar and Grace Hill, led this meeting brilliantly by discussing their educational and professional experiences.

Among these powerful women were seven West Ottawa students with their eyes set on a future in STEM. Each shared their intended major/field:

Seniors:

Erika Allen – Computer Science

Paige Bomhof – Engineering (NASA)

Sarah Brown – Nursing

Rachel Kennedy – Nursing

Julia LaDuke – Cyber Security

Megan Rockafellow – Medical Science

Juniors:

Rhyme Giannotti – Medical Science

The room radiated with inspiration as the students inquired about the opportunities ahead. With contagious passion, Hill and Salazar would respond. They offered advice, shared stories, and highlighted the labs, research, and internships they were most proud of. “In one of my classes, we actually got to take apart a car engine and put it back together. And it was super empowering to do that with our bare hands,” Hill said.

Salazar mentioned how much of the technology we use today has been designed by men, for men. In the design process, the female user’s perspective is often excluded. In fact, it wasn’t until 2011 that automobile companies were required to use female crash dummies in their safety tests. Women have been in cars for nearly 140 years, yet their safety has not been a priority until 11 years ago. “If we had more women’s perspective, that wouldn’t be the case,” Salazar said. 

Widening the perspective in a STEM workplace is a crucial step in making the world a more accessible and equitable place. Brown mentioned why the Women in STEM movement is so powerful. STEM has historically been a place for white men. Once women are substantially represented in the space, it will be more attainable to people of color, of LGBTQ+ identities, and of other underrepresented groups. With diverse perspectives on any team, minds will come together to develop the most creative and thoughtful solutions to any problem. “Yes, there are people out there who still have to get used to diverse fields. That is not a reason for us to say we are not excited to go into engineering [and other STEM careers]. Don’t focus on the negativity; focus on the success that is to be had,” Brown said with fortitude. 

Tessie Morales Hanging in Weyhmiller’s classroom, this bulletin board honors the accomplishments of female-identifying scientists from diverse backgrounds.

Get Inspired!

Outside of the meeting, I spoke with the Business Process Manager at HAWORTH Inc, Elizabeth Elwood. She was one of two female Computer Science majors in the class of 2000 (Saint Joseph’s College). “One thing I have enjoyed at Haworth is that for the first time I am working in an IT (Information Technology) department that is very evenly balanced between male and female.  I don’t know if that is a sign of the times as more and more women have gone into STEM in the last twenty years but I hope so!” Elwood said. “I am proud of all that I have done!  I’m especially proud when young women ask me about my career in IT.  When I started college I wanted to go into math education because I thought it would best fit with my long-term family goals.  I didn’t even consider Computer Science until I got to college and saw how similar the degree plans were.  Then I started taking the classes and it just clicked so easily for me, it’s hard to believe I wasn’t always a CS student.  I’m so happy to see so many young women going into STEM fields now and I’m proud to be a role model of what it looks like.” 

Although Elwood was not at the breakfast, her narrative serves as proof that there are opportunities for women in all aspects of STEM. As of 2019, only 18% of Computer Science degrees are awarded to women. But Elwood knew she was meant to be there. She asserted her role in college and has been doing so throughout her career. 

It is important that we share the success stories of women like Elwood to encourage younger women to pursue their STEM dreams. Women belong in the field just as much as men do. The world needs more innovative thinkers. What better way to nurture these thinkers than through the early exposure, outreach, and support that the groups like WOmen in STEM Breakfasts offer? 

If you are interested in exploring opportunities in STEM and connecting with peers, please join them at one of their next events!

March 17th – Bilingual CoEd / STEM is For Everyone

This event will be held in room 209 during seminar

March 30th – WOmen in STEM Breakfast / computer science and engineering theme

This event will be held in room 209 at 7:00am

Please RSVP at this Link

Contact Weyhmiller at [email protected] with any questions.

A Final Word

Women have come a long way in the fight for equality;

• Nearly 200 years ago women were finally allowed access to a higher education. 
  • Just over 100 years ago women were granted the right to vote in the United States. 
  • 50 years ago, women could actually open a bank account without their husband’s signature. 
  • And in about 40 years, women are expected to reach pay parity with their male counterparts. 

It’s been a man’s world for quite some time now. But women in STEM have the power to make it a place for everyone