Thank you, Mr. Strobel

The art of teaching is an arduous one, but Instructor Ken Strobel has mastered his craft. 

Strobel is many things: kind, understanding, funny, overly humble, and so much more. Although Strobel himself would never brag about just how awesome he truly is, his students would.

Mr. Strobel, we know how much you’ll hate having an article about you published, but we think that you deserve some recognition for all that you do.

Ava McBride:

Dear Mr. Strobel, I’ve really enjoyed having you as a teacher the past couple of years. It’s evident how much you care about your students. You do the most to help everyone succeed and create a hardworking and happy environment. I appreciate you very much and am lucky to get another year with you 🙂 

Evan Gerlach:

Thank you Mr. Strobel, you’ve been an awesome teacher. Sorry, I mean quality. You’re the coolest teacher here by far, and I love your class. Thanks man.

Clara Laino:

I wanted to experience writing and publishing in English for fun. I ended up loving this class so much that I took it for both semesters! Mr. Strobel was always super nice, patient, and ready to help. It was very fun to see videos and pictures of his dogs running around or jumping in the snow. I’m gonna miss this class so much, and I wish Mr. Strobel to keep being the great teacher he is! And I hope he will enjoy my country in June! 😉 

Ben Riley:

Mr. Strobel:

Thank you for always pushing me towards success as a writer. I feel like I am well prepared for all the essays that will be coming my way in college, and that my skills have greatly improved since my sophomore year when I first had you as a teacher in AP lang. Oftentimes I find myself using the donut words in my daily vocabulary without even realizing it. In your classes, I not only developed as a writer, but also as a person. You taught us to be critical consumers of media, which I think is arguably more important than any curriculum could teach. Thanks again for all that you do, I have really enjoyed my time in your classes as well as all of our conversations. 

Tessie Morales:

Mr. Strobel is a self proclaimed “giddy little fellow” and I think everyone deserves to learn why. Across his room, between the halls, wherever he goes, Mr. Strobel travels with a buoyant pep in his step, like a little pony (omg GIDDYup). It’s a joy to see him nearly gallop about the classroom in pure elation for teaching. 

Will Truttman:

Thank you, Mr. Strobel, for being one of the coolest teachers I’ve had and making class fun. You were always willing to help us with our journalism articles, even if our ideas were silly or stupid. It was nice having a teacher who you could talk about sports to and get along with. You were one of my favorite teachers.

Kaitlyn Meyer:

Thank you so much for being an amazing teacher Mr. Strobel. All throughout junior year, I loved starting my day with your sarcastic jokes and your silly dance moves. I enjoyed listening to your life stories when we went on walks during the block schedule, and I enjoyed playing pickleball with you in the summer. I’ll never forget your humor and outgoing personality! 

Josh Pohl:

Dear Mr. Strobel,

I feel very lucky to have you as my teacher. From the moment I step into your room, I know it will be a good class. I love how you treat us like friends instead of your students. Every day you share stories from your personal life and we feel comfortable to share stories of our own. You make the class fun and enjoyable for everyone. From your long rants, TikToks, and inside jokes, your class has given me many great memories. Thank you for being an amazing teacher.

Sydney Willard:

Mr. Strobel is a kind, compassionate, and understanding person. During my struggle with mental health, he provided countless opportunities to help me be my best. He also helped me improve my writing tremendously and pushed me to believe in myself. Mr. Strobel’s silly jokes always put a smile on my face. Even when I wasn’t in class, Mr. Strobel took the time to send me an email regarding what I had missed and always asked if I was okay. Mr. Strobel is by far one of my favorite teachers. 

Abby Hogan:

I walk into journalism excited every single day. This is because of the atmosphere that Mr. Strobel creates in our class. He has conversations with everyone and always wants to know how you are. He truly cares about every one of his students and wants them to succeed. Thanks Strobel for being a (snap, snap) quality teacher.

Sidney Hogan:

Journalism is one of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken. Mr. Strobel makes the atmosphere exciting and welcoming. I look forward to going to class every day because of his attitude. He’s always there with helpful tips and feedback that makes our writing better. Everyone should take a class with him!

McKenzy Hogan:

Mr. Strobel is a G. This class wouldn’t be the same without him. He is the most kind hearted, genuine person and teacher I’ve met. I have really learned so much while taking this class. My writing has improved so much this year with Strobel’s help and advice. Not only is he a teacher, but he is a friend. He will have conversations with his students about anything and it’s what makes this class and him so refreshing and fun.

Fiona Das:

Strobie, Strobster, Stro-bizzy, the nicknames that started our friendship. I remember the first semester of junior year, I had taken up AP Lang and didn’t know what I was getting myself into. At first, I was intimidated by you and became too scared to disappoint you with my essays and work. I realized fairly quickly that behind the strictness was a caring man looking out for his students. After first semester ended, I was told that I would be moved to a different English teacher, which I didn’t want. I think that same day, I sent out a long email to my counselor saying why I needed to have you again as my teacher for AP Lang. I’ve made amazing friendships in that class as well as getting to know you more. I took up journalism this year and absolutely loved writing about the topics that I’m passionate about. Now that I’m leaving, I wanted to thank you for helping me become a better writer in every way possible and for being the most supportive, caring, and the funniest teacher I could ever ask for. 

Natalie Wilcox:

Dear Mr. Stobel,

Thank you for the past two and a half years. You are one of the best teachers I’ve had, and I’ve grown so much as a writer thanks to you. I have loved taking journalism and will miss your class so much. You’re awesome! (Yes, I used that word.)

– Natalie Wilcox

Kaylyn Aulick:

Dear Mr. Strobel, 

My education career has lasted nearly a decade, so I consider myself an expert student. One of the many abilities included in that title is recognizing when I am sitting across from an expert teacher.

Mr. Strobel, you are an expert teacher. Every time I walked into your classroom, you pushed me to do more than I could have (or would have) done on my own. Every time I walked into your class, I knew I would laugh at least once. To give you some credit as a teacher too, I can also say that you kept me engaged enough in writing to warrant five semesters of your schedule filled with your classes. I don’t know if that was because you eulogized my pen, gave me donuts, or taught me to write with your voice in my head. “Who cares? So what? Well duh.” “Write precise sentences.” “Use stories.” The list goes on.

All this to say, thank you. Thank you for making me a better writer and a better person.

Kaylyn Aulick

Brecken Panse:

Mr. Strobel, 

Thank you. You have honestly been one of the most influential teachers in my life. (A favorite as well.) Your excitement for teaching and wanting us to learn really allowed me to be comfortable and take my learning to another, more hard-working, step. You are such a kind person and I’m honored to have been a student of yours. I’ll always remember specific grammar rules like ‘anyway’ without the ‘s’ and the many different AP Lang requirements. You will be a teacher I will always remember and hold in high regards. Thank you.

Your fav student,

Brecken Panse

Alyssa Karner: 

Mr. Strobel is by far one of the best teachers I have ever had. I had the privilege of having him for three years, and he helped me grow as a writer each year. I can remember being a nervous sophomore in his AP Lang class and how his encouragement built my confidence as a writer and student overall. Looking back as a college student, I now can see how much of a blessing it was to have journalism class and how much it prepared me for college writing. I am so thankful for all that I learned from his class, but also for the role that he served and continues to serve as a role model in my life. I am so so thankful for all he has done for me, and I hope he knows the impact he has had on my life.

Jocelyn Sweeney: 

Mr. Strobel- 

When I joined your AP Lang class my sophomore year, I didn’t think I was a good writer. I planned to avoid a career that would involve a lot of writing. That changed very quickly as I started to enjoy working on my papers in your class. After one semester in Lang, you encouraged me to join the newspaper. I quickly learned to love the interviewing, writing, and editing process. I decided during my junior year that I was going to pursue journalism. I couldn’t have done that without your help. I’m not sure if you realized at the time, but you were the first person I told when I got accepted into the honors journalism program at IU. I still remember how happy you were for me. 

As I go through college, everyone tells me how important being able to write clearly and concisely is. I had a head start because you taught me that in high school. I still use many of your writing tips. I even write and read just for enjoyment now. Your constant support for my endeavors, even after I graduated, is appreciated more than you know. You have inspired me and many others to keep writing. Thanks for all that you do. 

With gratitude, 

Jocelyn Sweeney

Madilynn Reynolds:

Dear Mr Strobel, 

It might’ve only been a semester in your class, but I got a lot more out of it than I imagined. I got stronger in my writing, a more creative style of writing, and a more fulfilled senior year. I know I mostly just sat in the back and stayed quiet, but I enjoyed coming up with new ideas to write about and make something good out of it. This class helped spark my senior year and make it something more than just my senior year. It allowed me to express it in many ways I couldn’t. Thank you for making the class enjoyable. Throwing new things at us spontaneously and making the most out of the hour we had in class. Thank you for being a great teacher.

Madilynn Reynolds

Ben Sanders:

Mr. Strobel, 

I used to hate writing. I felt as if my writing had little, if any, meaning. When I took journalism for the first time, I didn’t know what to expect. Looking back, I realize that taking this class was one of the best decisions I’ve made during my high school years. I’ve found meaning and a voice in my writing. Even though I plan to go into the medical field, your class has inspired me to continue writing for the newspaper in college. I know your advice will help me write papers with voice and meaning. It’s rare to find teachers like you. You have my utmost respect and gratitude for all you have helped me do and inspired me to do in my future. 

Thanks for everything, 

Ben Sanders

Owen Foster:

Dear Mr. Strobel, 

There’s a lot I could talk about, the donuts, the laughs, the many running jokes. Journalism has been an amazing experience with awesome people and the opportunity to write about things I enjoy or really care about. I’ve learned a ton about myself as a writer and how to improve myself as one. I look forward to fourth hour every day because I know that no matter how the day is going, my mood will turn around, and you will find a way to make me laugh or smile. I’ve had so much fun this year, and I cannot thank you enough. 

Thanks for everything,

Owen “Peaky” Foster 

Halle Pratt:

Mr. Strobel,

I have never enjoyed a class more than your journalism class. You have taught me so much over these past three years, and I have been so blessed to have you as my teacher. You have made my love for English grow, and I have learned more in this class than any other class. I want to continue studying language in college because of you. Your teaching has made me realize what I am capable of. When I started this class, I had no idea how much it would have an impact in my life. Thank you for being the best teacher I’ve ever had.

Meagan Rockafellow:

Dear Strobes,

Thank you!! You have had such a large impact on my life these past few years. I remember walking into your AP Lang class as a sophomore, terrified because I was awful at writing. Now, three years later, I am a whole new person. Not only have you helped develop my writing, but you have helped me develop my character. All the encouragement and support you have given me has pushed me to accomplish things that my sophomore self wouldn’t have imagined. I am going to miss walking into journalism everyday and seeing you. Thank you for the best three years!

Sincerely,

Meagan Rockafellow

Kate Roudebush:

Mr. Strobel,

Throughout my junior and senior years, your class has been the highlight of each day. Your love for your work and your students has impacted me more than I can begin to explain. The lessons I’ve learned through journalism, both about writing and about life, will stay with me through my college career and many years after that. You have taught me not only to love writing, but also to write powerfully in ways that can share important stories and help others. Without your guidance, I can’t say I would have developed the love for writing that I have. Your teaching has truly been so beneficial to my academic career, and I can’t thank you enough for that. Not only were you a teacher, you were also a friend. You go beyond simply being a teacher and deeply care for your students, which is something not every teacher can claim to do. Your genuine kindness for every student and interest in their lives beyond the classroom has brightened each and every one of my days for these past two years. I am so incredibly grateful to have had the privilege of being your student (even though I never earned publishing rights ;)). Thank you so much.

Thank you again, Mr. Strobel, for all that you do for your students. Your kindness and generosity does not go unnoticed. We all (and so many others) appreciate you immensely.