Class of 2022 Athletes Continuing into College Athletics

Lauren Adamski

Next year, West Ottawa will have 12 of its sports teams represented at colleges and universities across the country. Our lacrosse program has produced the most college athletes with seven athletes continuing into college. West Ottawa has produced nine Division I athletes as well as four Division II athletes and 19 Division III athletes for a total of 32 athletes continuing into college. 

Abby Bonnema, University of Michigan, Cross Country and Track 

Bonnema will be heading to the east side of the state to run cross country and track for the University of Michigan. Bonnema has been a consistent runner for the Panthers and has competed at state during her junior and senior year. She is most proud of “placing top 30 (All-State) at the State cross country meet senior year.”

Andrew VanDyke, Concordia University Ann Arbor, Football

VanDyke is eager to be able to continue playing football. He would not have been able to be a dynamic defensive player without the guidance of Coach Kurt VanAllsburg. “Coach Vanallsburg has helped me a lot, not only throughout high school but throughout middle school as well and I am thankful for everything that he has done for me.”

Blake Barrios, North Central College, Soccer

Barrios has grown up playing soccer and is excited to continue playing in college. However, he will greatly miss playing with the group he has grown with and the coaches that have helped shape him as both an athlete and individual. “Coach Alex taught me to be ‘ruthless’ and give my best effort 100% of the time on the soccer field.”

Braden Griffin, Bradley University, Soccer 

Griffin plays with Midwest United FC on their soccer team. His favorite memory was scoring the winning goal in the state cup final game. “Coach George Moni taught me how to think intelligently and play soccer at a high level.” His coaches have greatly impacted him through the game of soccer and have become influential in his life. 

Brayden Birkholz, Defiance College, Football

Birkholz was the outside linebacker for the Panther football team. He had his first varsity start during his sophomore year against Wyoming. Since then, Birkholz has put in hours of training to improve his skills. He has become a great player and was recognized as an All Conference Honorable Mention for the Fall 2021 season. 

Brayden VanderKamp, Alma College, Baseball

VanderKamp has a powerful arm that has helped lead WO Baseball to several victories. “My favorite memory from my sports career was during our little league all star tournament where we upset a team in the district finals. I caught a pop-up behind first base for the final out and I still have that baseball today. I remember a dogpile on the pitcher’s mound and how excited we all were. It is fun looking back on that team and seeing all the same players are on our varsity team today.” 

Callie Brondyke, Bethel University, Lacrosse 

Brondyke is an active player on the women’s lacrosse team. She is a dependable athlete who is committed to her team. Brondyke will forever cherish the dance parties in the locker room after winning a game and the impromptu Captain Sundae runs. “We play a sport that most people don’t pay much attention to, so for us we look to each other for energy and support. Without school lacrosse kick starting my lifelong passion, I’d never have been able to pave my future.”

Dylan Solis, University of Wisconsin Stevens Point, Swimming

Solis will never forget getting his state cut during his junior year. This moment led him to be able to compete at the MHSAA Boys Division State Championships where he competed in the 100 yard Breaststroke. Aside from his accomplishments, Solis will never forget the memories he has made with his teammates during practice and at meets. 

Ella Spooner, Kalamazoo College, Lacrosse 

Spooner has changed the game when it comes to WO women’s Lacrosse. She has broken several records, including the most goals scored in a game, having 15 goals in their game against Zeeland during her senior year. “If it weren’t for Coach Aaron Skomial taking a chance on me my freshman year and helping me realize my potential, I don’t think I would be where I am today.” 

Hayden Kollewehr, Concordia University Ann Arbor, Lacrosse

Kollewehr is a key part of the men’s lacrosse team’s success with his intelligent play style and determination. Outside of playing lacrosse, Kollewehr is going to miss having team dinners and the opportunity to connect with his teammates. He would like to thank Coach Rick Becker for helping him to develop a strong work ethic and always pushing him to play his best. 

Kaitlyn Meyer, Spring Arbor University, Tennis 

Meyer has been a strong force on the women’s varsity tennis team. She has become very close with her tennis team and “will miss the bond I have with my teammates. Most of us play in the off season together, it will be hard to say goodbye to these girls I’ve played with for years.”

Kayla Hintz, Illinois State University, Track and Field, Pole Vault

Hintz has been a monumental part of developing the pole vault team at WO. “My best memory is going one-two with my friend and fellow pole vaulter Natalie Blake at both conference and regionals.” Hintz has put in countless hours of training during the winter months to be able to accomplish high finishes such as those. 

Kevin Maas, University of Michigan, Swimming

Maas has been a strong swimmer throughout high school. He has been a part of West Ottawa’s Boys Swim and Dive State Team each year of his high school career. In addition, he contributed to setting the state record (1:23.25) for the 200 freestyle relay during his junior year alongside Tai Africk, Josh Rottier, Alex Boersema. 

Levi Henning, Savannah College of Art and Design, Lacrosse 

Henning brings the energy to WO’s lacrosse team. His outgoing personality helps the team to keep momentum going, even during their toughest games. “I wouldn’t be committed without Coach Shelt’s dedication and love for making good players great.”

Natalie Blake, Michigan State University, Track and Field 

Blake qualified for the Outdoor State Championships in 2021 and ended up placing 4th in the pole vault and being named an all-state athlete. “My dad, Dan Blake, has coached me for seven years, through middle and high school cross country, high school track, and off-season training during the pandemic, and without his unconditional support, I would never be where I am today. I will always have a special place in my heart for my time being on his teams.”

Noah Bonnema, Hope College, Baseball 

Bonnema’s strong arm has led his team to several victories. He plans to continue this trend into college. Bonnema will never forget the memories he has created while sitting in the dugout or during the bus ride to Myrtle Beach for their spring trip. 

Owen Armstrong, Alma College, Lacrosse

Armstrong has been a dynamic athlete for the men’s lacrosse team for the last two years. He’s attending Alma College in the fall and majoring in education. Armstrong is always one step ahead of the competition with his stick skills on defense.

Sarah Moraw, University of Minnesota, Gymnastics

Moraw has had many outstanding accomplishments over her high school career including being the National All-Around Champion in 2021. “I will miss the Region 5 camaraderie. At States, Regionals, and Nationals, girls and coaches from all over the five states come together for a common goal. Looking out onto the floor as a spectator, you can’t tell which coach goes with which athlete because everyone is cheering loudly and pulling mats for everyone. Some of my best friendships and memories have come from these moments.”

Sophie Bonnema, Michigan State University, Cross Country and Track 

Bonnema has run cross country and track since middle school and is grateful for the memories they have created together. “The best memory from my sports career was my 4×800 relay team getting 4th at the track state championships last year and beating the school record. We were seeded in the slower heat, so getting fourth overall was a lot better than I think a lot of us were expecting.”

Trent Mulder, Otterbein University, Lacrosse

Mulder has been an asset to the men’s lacrosse team over the past few years. However, he would not be the player is today without the guidance and support of head coach Rick Becker. “Coach Becker is always hard on me but it is because he expects me to perform at a very high level.” Mulder has proven to be an influential player and is on the Holland Sentinel’s list of lacrosse players to watch for the Spring 2022 season. 

Zoebelle Bean, Aquinas College, Dance 

Bean has been on West Ottawa’s Varsity Dance Team for 4 years. Her favorite style of dance to perform is contemporary because I like how it blends ballet and jazz. She will greatly miss “being able to compete and interact with the lowerclassmen that I became friends with throughout my four years and dancing at school events like the winter assembly and dance marathon.”

Also continuing their athletic careers: 

Brady Bosma, Heidelberg University, Basketball

Breyton Gibbs, Alma College, Lacrosse

Colin Shriver, Trine University, Basketball

Kaia Denhof, University of Michigan, Rowing 

Gavin Hardy, Trine University, Soccer 

Grant Sandstedt, Davenport University, Swimming

Kobe Haglund, Trine University, Football

Jose Martinez, Northumbria University, Soccer

Logan Volakakis, Aquinas College, Rugby 

Madi Remenschneider, Hope College, Swimming 

Stephanie Lebster, Michigan State University, Gymnastics 

Congratulations Class of 2022 on all of your achievements in both athletics and academics throughout high school. Your desire to succeed and strong work ethics will take you far in the future. Good luck to all of our student athletes as they continue their sport in college. You will be missed at WO.