The challenges of online learning

Lupe Guerrero-Nieto

Pandemic hits! Schools shut down, students are in quarantine. Students are excited for no in-person classes, thinking learning through a computer will be easy. Two weeks in grades dropped, homework piled up, people around me getting Covid-19. We were wrong. 

First thought on virtual learning

Two weeks into online learning, classes and homework are easy. Students putting in the minimum effort. Soph Danna Cruz Merlan went through a similar situation, “When I first discovered online learning, my first thought was that it was going to be way easier than in person.” 

Why is online learning so hard to adapt to?

There are many kinds of reasons why online learning is difficult for students. Many students thought, since their classes aren’t in person, Everyone could relax and not have to worry about anything. But in reality, it’s hard to adapt to a new way of learning so quickly, especially for a student who has been in person most of their academic life. Soph Emily Villanueva said, “It was distracting and I barely did any work, I didn’t really understand any of it.” 

Lack of Communication 

One reason for this statement is the lack of communication and reaching out for help from a teacher or trusted adult. It’s hard especially if an individual doesn’t know the teacher; it’s harder to reach out than it is to start drowning in work and struggling. 

Teachers did try to encourage a student to communicate with them, for any academic or mental problems. Also when we were in person, students were scared to ask questions because of what other students in the class thought.

Villaneuva said, “I also tried asking my mentor teacher but I got embarrassed/nervous since other students were also in the video call.” The difference about the problem is that kids are more pressured and stressed when trying to reach out for help. It’s more difficult to communicate with an adult on a screen. 

Distractions at home

A second reason is constant distractions. Phones, video games, etc. When going to class online, it’s easy to get away with stuff and get distracted. But another problem could be families distracting their children. 

Villanueva said “My family were distracting and I barely did any work.” Sometimes, parents give their child a hard time since they are home. Parents think they don’t have to do homework and online classes to attend. Which can stress out a student having so many distractions. 

Daily Procrastination 

A third reason is procrastination. Teen students do procrastinate, pushing their  responsibilities for later, but the amount of students procrastinating has skyrocketed ever since virtual learning started. Not paying attention and leaving their assignments for later, meanwhile, missing assignments are piling up. 

This is a huge problem because not only assignments piling up which is a problem because later procrastinating becomes a habit which is hard to break for example soph Danna Cruz Merlan said “I procrastinated a lot and because it I can’t break the habit.” 

The Results 

The fourth reason is grade results,  as soon as the distractions and lack of communication get the better of people, assignments pile up, and by the day grades get dropped, Virtual learning gets stressful for some students to handle the pressure all the time.

But not only does online learning affect average students, but also affects A or B students. Cruz said “Unfortunately, it has gotten worse and has had an impact on my grades since they’re usually A’s and B’s. And led me to take summer school for credit recovery.” 

Unmotivated Students  

My last reason is motivation, the amount of stress as students try to keep up with assignments and grades can be less motivating for the student. Plus it’s hard trying to be motivated when a person only has themselves as motivation. Online learning can be a big change for many students. But keep in mind that virtual learning has  it’s pros and cons.